Saturday 16 November 2013

Sentayahu's story - from Ethiopia

Thanks to Georgia, one of the team who went to work with CRED partner Women at Risk in the summer, for writing up Sentayahu's story so sensitively.

Here it is:


 “My Little Man”
 Sentayahu’s Story – Told by his mother,Ababa, and me.

Sentayahu is a 10yr old little boy with the most beautiful big brown chocolate drop eyes and a smile that would brighten up even your worst day. He lives with his mum and her friend so they can share to rent in a small town two bus rides away from Addis. He attends the Light of the World school and is a grade 5 student. He has health problems in that he gets constant bouts of tonsillitis and mum worries that he has not yet been circumcised.

Ababa was born in the country side and was forced to marry at a very young age. She ran away to Gondar City where she took refuge with a relative. Her relative got her a job in a cafeteria but because the pay was small her relative gave her to a broker in Addis Ababa. She was forced to work in many houses as a maid cleaning, cooking and waiting on the families. 

Whilst working in one of the houses she met her son’s father who worked for the family in a kiosk that they owned. She fell in love with him and he pestered her for sex. She didn’t want to have sex before they married so he promised he would marry her so she gave into him. When she found out she was pregnant he didn’t want to know and he disappeared. She tried to abort the pregnancy by taking malaria meds and traditional meds which made her very sick many times throughout the pregnancy. 

Ababa worked right through her pregnancy and then when she had Sentayahu nobody would employ her. So she had to turn to prostitution to get food and rent money. She would leave him in the house, lock the door and go out at night to work the streets.

Ababa is a good mother who loves her son dearly. She describes him as a kind, thoughtful boy who acts beyond his age and likes to ask lots of questions! He thinks worries and cares a lot for her and she said he gets along with whomever very well. Ababa worries about Sentayahu and she said that she doesn’t want him to get any addictions and be in wrong places. She keeps a close eye on him and tries to help him with school work but this is difficult as she is not educated. Ababa gives Sentayahu advice and love so he will be a decent child, she said. Ababa would love help with his schooling as she tries hard to raise him on her own.

From the moment Sentayahu entered my classroom on that very first day I knew we would form a special bond. His enthusiasm to learn was extremely humbling and it was a real pleasure to witness his thirst for learning. He made me smile everyday and warmed my heart as did many of the other children in the class. His manners were impeccable and through his broken English and funny gestures we managed to communicate. 

When I met with Sentayhau and Birikte (the Women at Risk staff member who was interpreting for us) he told me that he loves his mother dearly and her name Ababa means flower/Rose. When I asked him what his name means he told me it means “God why have you given me this life” which brought a tear to my and Birikte’s eyes. 

He told me he loves school and that he wants to go all the way to University and he promised me he would work hard so he could get a job with the WAR project helping other children like the WAR project had helped him and his mum. I asked Sentayahu if he had enjoyed the summer school and he said he was having a fun time and liked the maths session best. He was a very smart boy with his mental maths and always wanted to participate with the writing of the answers’ on the board. 

I asked Sentayahu how he had travelled into summer school from his home. He replied that he had to get two buses and leave at 5.30am to be in on time. He explained that he didn’t get the first bus and walked each day to save his mum some money. Sentayahu turned up every day in the same thread bare jumper and ripped trousers. On the third day his trousers split right across the crotch but he never complained. The WAR staff sorted him out with a pair of jeans which made him very happy.

Sentayahu was not an overbearing or overpowering boy who seeked attention but just quietly got on with his work, and was always willing to join in all the activities. I think this is why I warmed to this child and I felt very honoured that he trusted me to share his story.

On the last day I had the privilege to meet his mum Ababa who had travelled in for the celebration day. Sentayahu’s parting words to me were “I love you Georgia, Thank you and I will work hard at school” and I believe every word this little man said to me. And with God’s help I will endeavour to help him achieve his goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment