Friday 15 March 2024

One week on – the injury update

 


One week ago, I went for a run in Chingola, Zambia. An innocuous start to the day, fairly standard for me when I’m away with no pool to swim in or bike to ride or gym to go to. It was the run that ended with my ankle in plaster and me hobbling around on one crutch, due to also having a badly bashed up elbow that isn’t happy to take any weight through it (no, it’s not broken).

One week on, here’s the update in case you are interested.

My ankle is still in a back-slab and heavily bandaged. Partial weight-bearing is proving to be OK, as the alternative would be hopping and my balance is just not up for that. Very little pain in the ankle, although it was sore by the end of a day of navigating airports, not least becuase I had to demo several times that I can walk around in a plane with no crutches before I was allowed on the plane. My elbow has gone through a colourful range of bruising, which extends the length of the arm. It still won’t straighten on its own, although I can passively straighten it with my other arm. There’s definitely more movement in it now, and more that I can do with my left arm now compared to before, so I can see signs of improvement and healing, but it’s the elbow that is keeping me awake at night more than the ankle.

But all that aside, this past week has taught me many things.

First off – the kindness of strangers. I have been overwhelmed at the acts of kindness and generosity from so many people as I have hobbled my way through each day. People offering to carry my bag, hold the door, let me go the shorter route, or give me their chair. Flight attendants offering me chocolates on the sly during the flight and finding ways to ensure that I can have maximum number of seats in a row so that I can stretch out my leg. So many little experiences of positive humanity that just help make life a little bit easier, when things are feeling hard work, and a bit tiring and sore.

Am also grateful for the various friends near and far who were such a wonderful support. From advice on best painkiller combos, to sending out useful equipment to help with mobility, to sourcing new crutches... - God has lined up all the support just when it is needed. 

One of the other things that I have been reminded of this week is the joy of slowing down. I’m not about to say that once I’m out of plaster I will continue to go this slow – those of you who know me well will know that’s like asking a leopard to change its spots! But, the enforced slowness of this past week has provided opportunities to just sit, and watch life, and take notice of the little things that often go unnoticed. I hope that I’ll keep this going a bit each day even when more mobile – as the practice of slowing down has been a beautiful one to be reminded of.

And the other thing that this week has been a good reminder of is to give thanks for mobility and healthy body. I am very mindful that for some people, my reduced mobility and level of independence is their norm, and for others, mobility and independence is even more curtailed. I thank God for the mobility I have, and for the increased mobility that I know I will be able to build back up to. And I pray for those for whom mobility levels are more of a struggle and less guaranteed. I’m not saying that you have to have good mobility in order to have a fulfilled life – but I have had an insight into the additional challenges that reduced mobility brings, and I pray for those for whom this is the norm.

This week has had some good life lesson reminders. Nothing deep or profound, but still it has been good to have the reminders. I have some wonderful testimonies of how God has used this situation to speak into the lives of others and enrich them, as well as how God has spoken into my life through the acts of others. May I seek to incorporate the reminders into my life, and in so doing give to others, as others have already given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment