Sunday 5 November 2023

First impressions of Burundi






 It’s my first time to ever visit Burundi and before I came I didn’t have much idea of what to expect


I now it’s has a very turbulent recent history, and it borders Rwanda so chances are it’ll be hilly like Rwanda. But beyond that there were no preconceived ideas of what to expect. 


So here’s my first impressions based on the drive across from Kigali yesterday and some walks today around the neighbourhood where I’m staying. 


Very first impression - it’s very hilly! We spent 7 hours driving through Burundi yesterday and only the last 30 minutes in the city were remotely flat. The rest was one continuous road of ups and downs, and they weren’t minor ups and downs! These were major hills, one after the other as far as the eye could see. 

The views were stunning, and I’d love to do the drive again, but in the dry season! 


Because not only were the views stunning, but so was the rain when it came. There were times when I worried for the lack of visibility, and some of the streams that turned into raging torrents were very impressive. As you can tell, we survived to tell the tale. 


Burundi definitely feels like a country that is 10-15 years behind some of the nearby African nations. Internet, power, and infrastructure all feel a bit behind the curve. That might well be due to the recent war that took place which is bound to have had a negative impact. Or maybe it was lagging behind anyway. 

I’m not sure, but despite the lack of reliable services there are smiles in abundance from the locals. 


The rural parts of the journey again reminded me of traveling through Uganda and Kenya etc about 10 years ago, and rural poverty was very evident. It can’t be an easy land to draw a living from as the topography is not the sort to allow large scale farming, and so subsistence farming will be more the way to go, which doesn’t lend itself to large exports and boosting the economy that way. 


The lakeside on which Bujumbura is located is beautiful. The views are huge and it definitely feels like being at the beach. Lake Tanganyika borders 4 different countries - it’s ginormous! So as I sat on the beach looking out I think I was gazing across to Congo at one point and towards Zambia in another direction. 


Around the city I’ve seen a lot of little statues in the colour of the political party with an eagle on top. The translation of the strap line is ‘we will always be the champions of peace and Development’. 


Over the next few days I’ll be spending time with some prison chaplains and church leaders from this beautiful country. I’m looking forward to learning more from them about their nation as well as delivering materials that hopefully will help to equip and empower them more to do their bit in moving the nation forward towards that aspiration written on the statues. 



No comments:

Post a Comment