Tuesday 14 November 2023

An update from Kenya

 for those of you who have been wondering what I've been getting up to in Kenya - I thought it time to share a little update.

My first day here was a glorious day of R&R with the lovely Kenyanito family - just chilling out together, catching up with each other, and messing about in the swimming pool of the place where we were hanging out. Such a treat.

The Saturday was a very inspirational meeting with Timothy, who is one of the main guys in the Kenyan arm of Good News Global - an international charity that seeks to place chaplains in prisons across the world, and in so doing take hope, healing and the gospel to those behind bars. GNG is the organisation through which I have been able to reach out with the 360Life training to many of the prison chaplains across Africa, and it was great to sit with Timothy and hear from him about how things are going in this country. Am looking forward to working more with the chaplains here in the future.

Sunday - church here, thanks to Nairobi Baptist Church, then church at home, thanks to the livestream from Thornbury Baptist church, which enabled me to join in with Remembrance Sunday 2 min silence. 

And then Monday - national tree planting day here in Kenya, but for the staff of Spurgeons Academy, who live in the concrete jungle of Kibera where there isn't really space for trees, they chose instead to grow ideas and skills as I delivered 360Life training to them. For some it was a refresher course, for others it was new. For all of us it was a wonderful time of sharing, and for me it was a humbling experience as I listened to them sharing insights and reflections on the realities of life for so many of the children that are pupils at the school. All sorts of trauma, poverty, child-headed households....Spurgeons is so much more than a school for these children, it is their safe space in a world that has so little safety, security, or reliability in it.

Today (Tuesday) was a continuation of the training in the morning, and then in the afternoon Kenyanito and I met with a very senior chaplain in one of the public services here in Kenya, to explore about the possibility of taking some training into his area of work. I'll say no more, but it was a very positive meeting, and I pray that God can find a way through the mountains of bureaucracy that apparently will need to be overcome to progress further.

Tomorrow is an IDAK day with Kenyanito - I'll share more about that in due course. And then it's down to Mombasa, for project work (honest), plus a bit of sun, sea and sand! 

So there you have it - my Kenya visit thus far. 

oh, and in case you think I'm missing out on all the rains that are besetting the UK at present - well it's rained at some point every day since the drive to Burundi over a week ago, and it rained a number of times in Rwanda as well. So I am getting my share of rain, but I admit it is probably a bit warmer than your rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment