Sunday 21 November 2021

Reflections on a week in Kenya

I’m now in Uganda, and before I get fully embroiled in the work and projects over here, I just want to take a bit of time to jot down some reflections on the Kenya week.

It was such a delight to be back there after a Covid-caused two-year gap in my visits. I’ve been in touch with Kenyanito plenty during the past two years, and he’s sent little video updates as well, but nothing quite beats getting out there, being with the children, sitting alongside the teachers and hearing their perspectives on how things are, getting into the community and praying with some of those who are facing massive challenges and obstacles in their daily life.

I shared in a previous blog three little cameos that exemplify some of the challenges and obstacles being faced, so I won’t repeat them here. Meeting people in those situations and knowing that the problems are being faced over and over again in some shape or form, by almost every family in the community, can have the potential to be overwhelming. And yet, it is such a privilege to be able to sit alongside some of them, to share time with them, to pray with them and to hear their stories – well it’s a massive privilege. And to show that prayers get answered, within a day of posting that blog, someone had messaged me and offered to finance the lady who needed to move house to escape from the incredibly horrible landlord – thank you God for nudging the heart of that person, and prayers for the lady as she and her son start a new chapter of life in their new home.

One of the other foci to my visit was delivering initial presentations on some training materials that I have been developing. By the end of the week, I had achieved this, and in so doing had spent time with the Spurgeons teachers discussing how to start implementing the concepts, and given an overview of the materials to the dean of a theology college, a Bishop who has over 100 Anglican churches in his diocese, and to the teaching staff of a rural school which also happens to be the one that Kenyanito went to when he was just a nipper.

They were wonderful meetings, and the materials were very well received by all who were present, with enthusiastic conversations about how they could be applied in each particular situation. Watch this space for next steps!

But apart from my Spurgeons-related work, and the delivery of presentations, I think the key take-away reflection relates to the incredible hospitality shown by so many. The welcoming smiling faces, the offers of water in the heat of the day, the delicious wholesome traditional meals cooked often in very simple and basic kitchens with little more than a charcoal stove. We just felt so loved, so welcomed, and it was a daily reminder of just what a far-reaching gift is the gift of hospitality. A lesson to take home and put into practice more than has been my tendency in the past.

It certainly has been an incredible week. Everyone that we met had a story to tell, a story of how they are doing their best to rise above adversity, to make progress not just for themselves but for others around them. Stories of selflessness, of determination, and of faith. Stories told simply and straightforwardly, without pretension or embellishment or any expectation of anything in return.

I have a lot to process, a lot to work through, a lot of ‘next steps’ for when I get home. Now my focus shifts to the wonderful folks in Uganda – some of whom I know, and some of whom I’ve yet to get to know. So, for now it is a case of ‘thank you Kenya for all that you’ve given me over the past week’, and as I bid a fond farewell until the next visit, I pray for each and every one of the folks that I met and spent time with – for God’s blessings to be on them, as they are a blessing to others.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment