Monday 22 June 2020

National Windrush Day

Apparently today is National Windrush Day, although you wouldn’t know it if you just read the news headlines. 
It’s the official day to commemorate / acknowledge / apologise for / feel ashamed about the Windrush scandal, depending on your nationality, colour of skin, previous voting history etc. 
I confess that I don’t know the full story of Windrush. I was working a late shift when the recent documentary was on and I’ve not managed to watch it yet. And the book on Black British history that I’m reading hasn’t got to the twentieth century yet. 
So my knowledge is limited, but I do know that it’s another chapter of British history that we can’t feel proud of, that it’s another example of appalling treatment of innocent people, that it resulted in broken lives, fractured families, massive injustices. 
I will learn more about Windrush - it’s the least I can do as a white middle-class Brit. I owe it to those who were so badly wronged. 
But whilst my schedule means I can’t do all that today, what I can do is mark National Windrush Day by writing this, honour those who were wronged, and say ‘I’m sorry’. 

No comments:

Post a Comment