Sunday 7 June 2020

Black Lives Matter amidst a pandemic


Black Lives Matter - period, end of, no question.

The recent events and gatherings that have taken place across the globe as a result of the awful death of George Floyd, and the manner in which it happened, are an outpouring of the inner anger and pent up frustration of many ethnic communities, accompanied by the desire to show solidarity, penance and apology by members of the non-ethnic communities for the role of those communities through  history in getting to wear we are today. Its been a time when members of the white majority communities are wanting to ask forgiveness and to show that they want a new way by standing arm in arm with those of a different skin colour.

And in normal times, this would all be very excellent, and hopefully the start of a permanent change in society. A time when the old ways, and those who prefer the old ways, are called to account, and called to change. A time when new ways are forged, that are better ways, more equal ways. A time when those who haven't really thought much about all this before, start to think, and realise how wrong they've been, and change their attitude to a new way of thinking that reflects equality for all.

But these aren't normal times.
These are times of a global pandemic, when standing shoulder to shoulder with others is dangerous, and risks sparking a new wave of CV-19, just at a time when countries are sort of, kind of, getting to a bit of a grip with overcoming then first wave.

I really want George Floyd's death to be the start of something new, and positive, for people who have always felt to be 'other'. I really want his death to be the start of a reduction in 'otherness' and a building of 'togetherness' and unity and equality.

But would George want it to be done at the risk of an increase in CV-19? Already it has been shown that this virus is more dangerous to those of BAME heritage - what an awful irony it would be if even more of that group got CV-19 as a result of standing in protests against anything that targets them negatively.

So, for those reasons I won't be attending any rallies, or protests.
It's not because I don't care.
It's because I do care.

I'll be writing to my MP, and I'll keep on writing until I get a reply from him with proof of what he is doing to fight racism.
I'll be reading up to make sure I am more properly informed, and not just influenced by 'white-written' history.
I'll be looking inwards at my own motivations, and seeking repentance and forgiveness for any racism that I inadvertently show / think / say.

But I won't be attending any rallies or protests. I don't want to give the virus an upper hand. I don't want George's death to be in vain, by adding to a situation where more BAME people could end up dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment