Saturday 23 May 2020

Leaning on a 5-bar gate






It's Day 60 of lockdown, for me anyway - I realise some people have done longer.
But 60 days of lockdown, and in that time, like most others, I've been through the whole gamut of emotions:
- frustration at what I can't do - both regarding previously made plans, and playing a part in fighting CV,
- sadness at who I can't meet up with,
- sense of achievement at conquering technology,
- joy at connecting with people in new ways,
- grief at the loss of previously normal ways of life,
- fear that things will never be the same again,
- concern for all those who have lost their lives, or lost loved ones, or lost their jobs, their livelihoods etc
- pride to be associated with such incredible people as our key workers are
- heart-ache at the stories I hear on a regular basis of how bad things are overseas in poorer countries, places where I have so many friends, who are serving on their frontlines to try and prevent starvation from killing many
- marvel at the generosity of people to help in whatever way they can

But most of all the emotions have circled around relief that God is in this with us - He has not, and never will leave us to deal with it on our own.
He is weeping with the bereaved
He is rejoicing with the Covid patients who are recovering
He is there with the parent who is at the end of their tether re homeschooling
He is watching over the students who feel discombobulated about the way that key milestones in their education were prematurely stopped
He is in the sun that shines down and makes the day feel more achievable
He is in the rain that waters the earth
He is the flowers and the birds and all creation that is singing in joy at this quiet season as we all stop rushing around.

Over the past 60 days I've been muddling along, sort of processing but not really, and now I feel like there are lots of reflections that have passed me by, or that I haven't captured.

so going forward my intention is to post a photo a day, and a bit of thought. Sometimes a photo I've taken, sometimes one I've received. But just to capture this time, and different aspects of this season, and to let out some of the thoughts that are circling round.

So, here's the view over the 5-bar gate - looking out into the future, not knowing quite where it will take me if I pass through the gate, but knowing I am not alone. And for now, that is enough


No comments:

Post a Comment