Saturday 7 October 2023

Is my heart still soft?

 I've been in Uganda for 3.5 days now. The first day was a bit of a recovery day after an overnight flight, so doesn't really count, as I didn't venture far. But since then I've been out and about and in my meetings with others have had some very thought provoking conversations, which certainly tested if my heart is still soft. 

First off I went to Acholi Quarters. Whilst there I met with the children of Hopeful Haven, the informal education facility that the Acholi ladies run for children who aren't able to go to mainstream school due to lack of finance. Some have been in the past but had to drop out when circumstances in the family changed and income stopped. Others have never been to school as their parents / guardians have never been able to afford it. More on that another time. 

I also sat and chatted with some of the Acholi ladies about their views on 'community' and it's role in their lives, as well as their ongoing feelings of being temporary residents with no visible way forward. As they spoke, the yearning for something more, the desire to 'go home' came through time and again, and yet in tension against this was the acknowledgement that they can't ever go back to their 'home', as they are widows with no parents, and so have no entitlement to any land on which to start a new life. 

And I met with an inspiring young woman who, at the age of 24 started an orphanage in her community as a result of seeing the negative impact of local beliefs and ignorance about HIV / AIDs and what it means to a child to become an orphan as a result of this. Hearing her tell her story, and talk of the struggles she faces, as well as her persistent and patient faith in God's provision really impacted me. I'll share more on this at another time too. 

But, as I sit here reflecting back on the first few days of being back in Uganda, and the conversations I have had that have really touched my heart, I think it is fair to say that my heart is still soft. Not so soft that I can't handle the information being shared, but soft enough to be touched and want to do my bit. That 'bit' will look different depending on the situation and circumstances, but my heart is open to exploring what that is.

As for the other part of my blogger handle, and whether my feet are still hard enough - well based on the couple of blisters i've got as my feet are reintroduced to sandals after too much time in the UK with cold feet, I'd say that's a work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment