Tuesday 18 October 2022

The tale of two pairs of trousers and their tailors



Anita and Swabulah are both second ie final year students at the Nkuru vocational college studying for their DIT qualification in fashion and design.

When I was at the college two weeks ago I mentioned that I’d love a pair of trousers and a pair of shorts in African fabrics. Mr Joshua, head of fashion and design, instantly picked up on the comment and suggested that two of the students could make them for me. Anita and Swabulah were chosen for the task.

My measurements were taken, thoughts on colours and fabric design shared, and then I left Mr Joshua to oversee the next steps.

Today I returned to the college, and found the two items finished and waiting for me. There was a bit of a catwalk moment as I tried them on, much to the laughter of the tailoring students, and I’m delighted to say that both the shorts and trousers fit perfectly.

Anita is 21 and originally from a rural district 2-3 hours drive away. When not at college she splits her time between mum at the rural family home, and dad who lives and works in Kampala. She is the middle of five girls and has dreamed of having a job in the clothing industry since childhood. Apparently she liked modelling clothes when she was little but decided to train as a clothes designer as that was a safer option than pursuing a modelling career.
Anita tells me that the things she loves about the college are that there are enough machines so that everyone can have lots of practical time, and that the college feels like a family where she feels at home.

Swabulah is 19 and from a Ugandan district about 2 hours drive away. She lives with her Parents and 5 siblings and has always been passionate about dress-making. Initially her desire was just to make clothes for herself and her family but now her plan is to get an internship to develop knowledge of working in the real world and then start her own tailoring business.
Swabulah says that she loves the college as it is a good environment for learning with good and committed teachers.

As I sit here in my new pair of shorts (trousers this evening when it cools off a bit), I can confidently say that both of the girls are excellent tailors already. And as their experience and knowledge grows, they are just going to get better and better. Maybe we need to consider commissioning a Ugandan Sewing Bee competition!









 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment