Thursday 29 September 2022

Cindy - a story of inspiration

Cindy works for ILA, which is where I've been based this past week, doing phase 1 interviews for my research. 

Cindy was one of those I interviewed, but then wearing a different hat, I also signed off her completed training as a 360Life authorised trainer. As part of that, I asked her to write a short bio of herself. The following is what she wrote, and she has given me permission to share it in its entirety, as she hopes that her story will give others encouragement to others.

Cindy said - 'if my story, of all that I've had to endure, can help even one other person, then it is worth it'.

So, over to Cindy, to tell her story: 

'My name is Cindy. A mother of two, I am working for I Live Again Uganda as Community Outreach Officer helping the Refugees who come to settle in Uganda. I have a bachelor’s in development studies, a degree in Development studies and a Certificate in Teaching Profession. I share my story to encourage others that anything is possible, no matter what start you had. You must dream and believe.

I grow up a total orphan (Orphan) when I lost my parents. I became the head of my Family (Child headed), and I got married when I was 17 years old (Child mother) because I had no one to fight for my wellbeing. The only paper I had was senior4 Certificate which could not help me to get any job yet.  I gave birth to two children - a girl and a boy. Life has never been friendly to me, and it was unfortunate that the man I married was Lazy, drunkard, arrogant and remorseless.  No week ever passed without me being beaten and chased away from home by him but I had nowhere  to go, being an orphan. I was put in Prison by one of his girlfriends after she attacked me. Putting me in Prison was a way of chasing me away forever but still I came back to my husband after one month in Prison.

When I was released, I went back home, and I found my things thrown outside. So, I had to collect my things and went to stay with my Maternal great grandmother. I was 22 years when I became a Single Mother. I stayed with my great grandmother for 2 years before I went to paternal grandfathers’ home where I am with my children up to now.  

While I was still with the children’s father, because he was lazy, we were fully depending on his father. This gave me idea of starting small business. I could remember what my grandfather use to tell me “Use your brain Cinderella don’t depend totally on my ideas. I am aged now, train your brain to think and know that where there is a problem there is a solution. Don’t waste time complaining, spare your time to get solution to your problems, have a dream to guide you”

Business ideas crossed my mind. I went and borrowed 3000 Ugshs from a friend and bought cooking oil and flour and started making Chapatti.  I saved some money, and I bought charcoal and started selling it beside the Chapati. When I came to stay with my grandmother I continued with the same business, saving when I could but still having to feed the children.

I applied for a 2-year certificate course at one of the government Primary Teachers College while I was still with him. My school fees were partly paid by the government and even though he put me in prison, I finished my course. Through my small business, I paid the balance, rented a grass thatched house, bought milk for my son and food for us. While waiting for my Teaching Certificate, I was given a teaching job in a primary School and the parents paid my small salary until my name was confirmed for a government paying role.

With this salary I enrolled for a 2-years Diploma Course in Gulu University weekend Program to give me time to work during the week. I took my children to school, so I could pay their school fees and my tuition with the little salary I was getting. After that I enrolled again for another 2 years course in Community development. I finished this course when my first born was in senior four and the brother in senior two.

After finishing that Course I left teaching and joined a NGO for good payment as I was aiming for my Bachelor Degree. God blessed me and I got a job with Samaritans of Gulu where I worked for 9 years. Immediately when I got this job I enrolled for a 3 years course Degree  in Development studies. Immediately I finished my course, my daughter enrolled for her bachelor’s degree in public administration. As she finished her course the brother also enrolled for a bachelor in Procurement and supply chain management which he has just finished this year May 2022. I paid University fees constantly 12 years without any break.

My parents left me and my siblings without a home. I thought to go back for my Masters but I feel I should build my own home and get away from my grandfather’s place. I have already bought the land and started building my home. When it is complete I will start planning for my retirement.

The training to gain the 360 Life license has empowered me so much, even more than I already had been.  I will use it to help my children as they grow up, and also during the delivery of the program at the refugee settlement in my work with ILA. It has helped me to know who I am. It has encouraged me so much.'

What a story! It is the privilege of working with people like Cindy that keeps me coming back here, time and time again. I pray that you are somehow also blessed by her words. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment