Monday 15 April 2019

When I was at Entebbe airport.....

When I was at Entebbe airport the other evening, waiting to fly to Kenya, I watched passengers checking in for a flight bound for Dubai.
Some were clearly seasoned passengers, possibly connecting to flights to other parts of the world; some were dressed in clothing that shows they are from Middle East.
 
But the heartbreaking aspect for me were how many of the passengers were teenage girls, all dressed in identical clothing, almost like a uniform - wearing T-shirts advertising the recruitment agency that had signed them up, a long plain beige skirt and a yellow headscarf covering all hair
The girls wore expressions that were a mix of apprehension and excitement at the ‘adventure’ ahead. They clearly hadn’t flown before. 
 
What sort of adventure will it turn out to be? Will it be one they enjoy, or will it turn out to be a time of false promises, quashed dreams, and worse?
I hope I’m wrong- I hope they have a good time, and return to their families with all expectations achieved. 
 
Unfortunately the cynic or the realist in me suspects otherwise and the concepts of human trafficking, domestic servitude and child brides come to mind. 
 
Could I have done anything? Not really, not there in the airport. Nothing except pray, which is what I did, and continue to do. 
 
So I am praying for those girls, and others like them all over the world who are lured away from home, education and safety by stories of quick money, employment, travel and opportunities to escape poverty, but soon discover that the reality is horribly different from all that. 
 
And praying for all those organisations around the world who work tirelessly to bring an end to these awful practices- oh that one day the need for such organisations will no longer exist. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment