Friday 11 November 2016

Hungry In Solidarity



As some of you will know, this week I am taking part in a ‘Give It Up for 125’ challenge. It is to raise awareness, and funds, for the Bristol-based charity One25 (www.one25.org.uk) which works with vulnerable and abused women, many of whom are caught up in drugs, prostitution and other street work.
It is an incredibly inspirational charity, doing some really great work with those who, for a myriad of reasons have found themselves living on the edge of our society and yet who deserve so much more.

I have chosen to give up solid food for 125 hours, and as I write I am just over 3/5 of the way through the challenge. I’m still doing liquids, and due to the number of mayoral duties going on, and the amount of energy required, I am allowing myself a cup of soup, a smoothie and a mug of hot chocolate each day as well as water and tea. But I have to say I am longing to actually chew on some food again, and the number of times my fingers have subconsciously wandered to the biscuits, fruit or any other bit of food sitting around!

This little piece is me reflecting on what I’ve learnt through taking on this challenge, and in so doing partly just reminding myself why I am doing it, but also using it as a way to raise awareness

The main learning point: a reminder that food is not just what staves off hunger pangs, but it also fuels the body, helps keep the energy levels up, helps the body keep warm, and helps keep concentration levels up. Everything has been harder work this week – due to the lack of food – even writing this is taking longer than it normally would.

I’ve also been reminded just how much I take access to food for granted – how lucky I am to have a lifestyle that means we can afford to go to the shops and buy food as regularly as is needed, and even more to buy the foods I fancy rather than only the cheapest options available.
To have cupboards with food in them, rather than cupboards whose bare shelves are a stark reminder of the food not present

Through all this my recurring thought has been: what must it be like for those who don’t have easy or regular access to food? How do they cope? How do they function? How do they have the energy to get everything done?

And if you add on top of that the fact that many will be enduring various other issues as well: homelessness, struggling with addictions, caught up in violent and abusive relationships, unemployment….

And its all happening just down the road – in Bristol, and in every other city in the UK. This isn’t something happening on the other side of the world, its happening here.

It all drives home just important the work of organisations like One25 is – their unconditional, holistic, ongoing support for women who need it most. If Jesus were here in Bristol, He’d be right down there with these women, showing them unconditional love, and One25 are demonstrating Jesus through what they do.

As I write this I’m hungry – but I’m glad I’m hungry, because I feel as though through my hunger I am drawing a little closer to those women who, through no fault of their own, need the support and love of Christ – and who can receive it through the work of One25.

If you’d like to show you care as well, please sponsor my last few hours of foodlessness:

No comments:

Post a Comment