Sunday 19 April 2015

The ongoing question - what would Jesus do?

It's a question I wrestle with time and time again, and I just don't know the answer!

Walking through the streets of Addis, or Kampala, or Lilongwe, or Bristol, or London, past street kids, past the homeless and begging adults, as they come up to you with doleful eyes, putting hand to mouth to indicate their hunger - invariably I wonder: what would Jesus do? What should I do?

My default response is to say hello, so that I am at least acknowledging them, but then keep on walking, and ease my guilt with the knowledge that I am working with organisations that are local and are supporting the poor and marginalised in various ways.

But is that enough? Does that actually make an iota of difference to those individuals who are asking me for some help right there, right then. Asking for a little something to ease the hunger pangs.

What would Jesus do? What should I do? What would you do?

I wouldn't ever give money, as that could always be spent on the wrong things - but maybe I ought to make sure I've always got some food on me that I can give away? Or do I go with the reasoning that we can't feed them all so shouldn't feed any of them? Does it reinforce begging, by giving food to them on the streets? Certainly that is another argument I've heard to justify passing them by and giving to organisations instead. Would it cause arguments and fights, with the weakest losing out and the strongest winning? Would it bring disrepute to the streets, that the locals wouldn't like to see?

What would Jesus do?

Would he pass them by, or would he stop and sit with them, pray for them, heal their hurts, make 5 loaves of bread go far enough to feed them all? And if that is what Jesus might do, should I be doing more to try and get close to that level of response and that level of showing compassion in action?

If anyone knows the answer, or wants to send through thoughts and insights to help this muddled brain, then please do.

And in the meantime - well I guess I'll keep praying that God will show me the right way, and that He'll touch my heart and prompt me to act when the time is right, to the person that need its

No comments:

Post a Comment