Tuesday 6 May 2014

Final reflections on Mexico, and In honour of passing middle-age!

I’m on my way home to the UK – a 24hour door-to-door journey giving me plenty of time to reflect on the past week and my time in Mexico. The purpose of my trip was to visit some projects in the Chapala region and explore the potential for CRED entering into a partnership with any of them.

This I have done, and I will be presenting my findings and thoughts to those who make such decisions (ie trustees) when I am home. It is not appropriate for me to divulge those thoughts at this time, especially as I know some of the readers of this blog have a personal interest in knowing what those thoughts and recommendations might be, and I don’t want to write anything that might put undue pressure or expectations one way or the other.

But in wrapping up this trip in a more general way, I was reflecting on the week overall and two thoughts struck me time and again.

Firstly is the number of friends I feel that I have made here in this short time - some who are involved directly in the projects, and others who are supporting from the sidelines in various ways. Last night we had a lovely farewell meal together, and I truly felt that as I said adios to them, it was not a final farewell but a temporary parting. Mexico is a country of great beauty, and that shows in the friendship of the people as well as the landscape

In alluding to the title of this blog, one significant thing about most of these friends is that they will all agree that they have made it to the far side of middle age – some more than others - but that is certainly not slowing them down. Some are ex-pats who have retired here, others are Mexicans, but all are great ambassadors for the truth that age doesn’t need to hinder involvement.

One of the ladies not able to be present last night was Sylvia Flores. Sylvia is happy to admit that she is pushing 70yrs old but that isn’t slowing her at all. An amazing and wonderful Mexican lady, Sylvia was called out yesterday to deal with two pregnant patients who were having medical emergencies that needed her attention. She devotes her life to supporting, empowering and equipping women – many of whom live very impoverished lives - in the fields of maternal health, education and life skills.

Madre Maria, who I have mentioned in previous blogs, fits that same category of incredible dynamic Mexican ladies, serving God in a remarkable, selfless and inspirational way, through her care for some of those closest to God’s heart – orphans and vulnerable children.

I must just mention Dr Carlos as well – another angel in human clothing. A hug from Dr Carlos is a true bear-hug of an embrace, and that exemplifies his love of, and concern for, humankind. Dr Carlos gives of his time to the people of Tepehua, providing them with access to good quality health care even when they don’t have two peso’s to rub together. Everyone is equal in Dr Carlos’s eyes, everyone is equally deserving of a proper consultation and the chance to have the care they need to recover from whatever ails them. Yes there are many challenges along the way, but that doesn’t deter Dr Carlos, and he is another example that I have met this week of Mexicans helping Mexicans across the ‘class divide’.

To these fine people, as well as Francine, Robert, Lisa, Ernesto, Karuna, F. Basil, Ernie, Esther, Roy, Margarita, Aurora, Sheila, Maria and Kai (some of whom still have to discover the delights to middle-age) – I salute you! Thank you for your time, your love, your guidance and your devotion to the people of Tepehua and Lakeside. May you be blessed as you are a blessing.

But I said earlier that there are two thoughts that kept coming to me this week, and the second is just how much greater is God’s agenda than ours. There have been so many little occurrences, conversations and unexpected meetings this week, and in the weeks leading to this trip, that have underlined the fact that whilst we may have one agenda in mind, God is at work in so many more ways.

As I said earlier, my focus for this week was to consider some projects for possible partnership with CRED, and that has certainly happened; but there has been so much more, related to the wider work of CRED and to other aspects of life, that have been clear evidence of God working His purposes out. Conversations that have been able to take place due to a change in where I was staying, chance meetings that have proved to be really significant, unexpected side-links that have emerged, seemingly random e-mails that have come at just the right time and confirmed issues that the sender wasn’t aware of – all these and more have made for an intense, but highly fulfilling and exciting trip.

I have been reminded in no uncertain terms that we should never underestimate the work of God behind the scenes, as well as upfront. He is right there walking with us, as well as preparing the way in ways that might not be clear until later. As always I give thanks to our Lord for allowing me to walk this exciting path, but I thank Him ever more for the evidence that this is never a walk that I do alone – He is always right in there with me: before, beside, after, under, over and within, showing His loving care at all times. May you all know that amazing love and truth as you journey forwards.


Time to board the plane – adios Mexico, UK here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment